Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Stretford #6

Mission Grandpa (Elder VW), Dad (Elder Olsen) and Son (Elder R)
This 6 weeks has gone by so fast. Time is super weird when you're on a mission. I can't describe it, but it's really weird. As far as Transfers go, Elder Rxxxx and I are both staying in Stretford for Christmas. :) Alright, here's a quick run down of the week. 


Since Monday is P-day all the missionaries in the Manchester zone got together and we played American Football! It was so much fun to get out and it felt so good to exercise like that. I'm getting so out of shape it's not even funny.  Anyway, It felt really good to run around for a couple hours. After that we all went to a Carvery, which is pretty much a posh Golden Corral and ate Thanksgiving dinner. That evening we had a lesson with Jxxxxx, our Golden investigator. I don't remember how much I've told you about Jxxxxx so I'll start at the beginning. President Ulrich promised us that people are being prepared behind doors, so the focus of the mission changed from street contacting to tracting. So I was praying about a street to tract and my eyes were drawn to a certain street. I kept looking at the map but I couldn't pull my eyes away from that street. So the next day we knocked the doors on that street. About a quarter of the way down the street we knocked this door and this lady popped her head out the upstairs window and asked who we were. We told her we were missionaries and she came running downstairs and let us in. We taught her the restoration there that night and set up another appointment with her. She is such a good investigator. She asks all the right questions, she agrees with everything being taught, and she actually keeps the commitments we give her. To date we have taught her the 1st 2 lessons and she is dated to be baptised on the 20th of this month! 
Tuesday was a pretty normal day, nothing much happened. 
Wednesday was the same.
Thursday was Thanksgiving day!!!! Which unfortunately isn't celebrated in England. But that's ok because if you have memebers from America in your ward they might just invite you over for dinner! Which is exactly what happened! So our dinner appointment was scheduled for 5:00 and it was about an hour away by bus. Come 4:00 we go to catch a bus, but Elder Rxxxx lost his bus pass. So we almost ran back to the flat to try to get money to catch the bus, but we had no cash in the flat. So we very quickly walked to the ATM to get money out, but both of our cards with Church funds were empty, and the ATM wouldn't take either of our personal cards. At this time it's about 4:30 so there is no way we can make it there on time, let alone make it. So we try to get ahold of this member but we can't get through until almost 5:00, But as soon as she finds out that we can't make it, without hesitation she called a taxi for us and told us she would pay for it. It was amazing. So we got a proper Thanksgiving dinner. 
The rest of the week was nothing special. But we did mud masks! Pictures will follow. 
We didn't have any cucumbers
so we used lemons...

The highlight of the week for me didn't come as a story. It's not something that we did. It's something that I experience on my knees. I was praying, desperately trying to figure out what I could do to be a better missionary, and it hit me like a pile of bricks. I need to be myself. Looking back on my mission, It feels like I tried to squeeze myself into a missionary mold, which is wrong. I needed to just become a missionary. I don't know how to explain it, but I'll report next week on how it went. 

Thank you so much for all your love and support. I love you.
Love, Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment