Monday, January 5, 2015

Stretford #11

Hello everyone! I hope you had a great holiday season this year! 
I had a good one. I had lots of fun going to members homes and hanging out with other missionaries, but I am honestly glad that the holidays are over. I know that is something that old people usually say, but I'm just excited to have people start listen to us again. The most common answer that we got from people was, "After the holidays" so now that they don't have that excuse I'm excited! 

Well It was kind of a dull week, in fact, every day but Sunday was dull and unproductive. The streets were empty so we spoke with not very many people. Sunday was a good day though. It was a fast Sunday, which I have come to appreciate much more on my mission. I really didn't understand the purpose of fasting, other than to "raise money for people less fortunate" but I understand now. I don't know how to explain it. President Eyring said that "Fasting will bring you closer to God than any thing else" and I have seen that principle recently. There is a really good talk by Hank Smith about Fasting. I don't remember what it's called, but it's super good. You should all look it up. 
So we are in Downtown Manchester City, Walking around trying to talk to everyone, and this man approached us. He asked if we were Mormons or Jehovah's Witness and when we said we were Mormons he reached into his backpack and pulled out a Book of Mormon. He then went on to tear us apart on every single on of our points of Doctrine. But, lucky me, I have been studying like crazy, so I was able to adequately answer his questions. At this point I got this crazy urge to pull out my bible and bash with him, but instead of doing that we pulled back and came to a mutual agreement that contention drives away the spirit. We shook hands and left as unlikely friends, never to meet again. Looking back on it, I can very clearly see when Satan was trying to drive me to bash with this man, but thanks to the power of God, we were able to resist and leave a good impression on him. 

Well that was all the excitement in my life. Other than a boring New Years party that isn't worth mentioning.
Anyway, I love you
Love, Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment