Monday, April 20, 2015

Ashton #14

Hello all! 
First off, I just want to say thank you, thank you for reading my letters. I know many of you get lots of emails from missionaries and I'm not sure exactly who this email goes to, but I do appreciate everyone who reads this, because it means that you care and are concerned about me. Thank you so much, it's a small thing that means a lot to me. 

Last week I mentioned that Mxxx was no longer willing to be taught and that he didn't want the gospel to be taught in his house anymore. Fortunately he still likes me as a person so we were invited over on Thursday evening for service and a dinner appointment. Their radiator had leaked on the carpet so the insurance was getting new carpet for them but they had to pull it up so we helped out with that. They went to a chippy and got us some fish and chips and we had a nice (fatty) meal. The English have a weird thing where they like to put mushy peas on fish and chips. It's basically really soggy, wet, peas. It was weird. But that's not the important bit. The important part is that we were in his home talking with Mxxx. Though we didn't talk about the gospel, I believe that if we as missionaries are doing our job right we are the gospel. We are supposed to be the message that we share, so if they accept us it is my hope that they will see something in us that will make a change in them. But it's only because we are supposed to radiate Christ. Malachi 3:2-3 talks about how Christ is a refiner of silver. The Book of Mormon institute manual tells us a little about the process of refining silver The refiner will place the silver in an incredibly hot furnace and let the impurities burn out of it. He knows that the silver is done when he can see his reflection in it. So it is with us. Christ will refine us till he can see his reflection in us. No one is to that point yet, but we are all on our way. I hope that Mxxx was able to see Christ reflected in us. Progress is progress.
On Wednesday we taught Axxx at a member's house the law of tithing and the law of the fast. The lesson went super good and Axxx committed to live them both, and in fact Axxx fasted on Sunday! I really hope that her situation clears up so that she can get baptised. 

We met a girl named Lxxxxxx last week and we had a lesson with her Thursday morning. We met in the park and taught the restoration,but because of a mandate from our bishop, we have to pass her over to the sisters so they can teach her. She's super solid and I'm excited to see what happens with her because she has a lot of potential. 

Because of General Conference and then fast Sunday we didn't have an Easter focused meeting in church, so we had one yesterday. All 4 of us missionaries were asked to speak and we covered differenent aspects of Christ's life. I was assigned to speak on the Atonement, Crucifixion, and Resurrection of Christ. I was also the last speaker. Each of those topics is so big! But I had narrowed it down and I had written about a 15 minute talk or so, but by the time it was my turn to speak I only had 5 minutes! So I completely scraped my talk and winged it. But I think it actually went pretty well.  I could feel the spirit directing my words so it was really nice.

But that's my life this week. Oh here's a picture. 
I own a bakery... It's a thug life...
That's all for today!
Love, Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment