Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Wigan #9

Dear Family,

Man, I love you lot. It's been a good week for me, and I'm so grateful for the time that I have to be here away from you. In the best way. :) it's such a growing experience for me. I'm writing this on Tuesday because yesterday we had an all-Elder meeting at the Manchester stake centre. It was so much fun! I was able to see almost all of the companions that I've had on my mission, that was fantastic. I missed out on seeing 3 of them. My trainer, Elder VW has gone home, Elder Bxxxxxxxxxx has gone home, and Elder Sxxxxxxx has been banished to the Isle of Man. But I got to see Elder Rxxxx, I see him all the time, but he was there, E. Bxxxxxx, E. Lxxxxxx, E. Hxxxxx,  E. Sxxxxx, and E. Sxxxxxx, along with some others that I have gotten close to. We had some great trainings given by President and a few of the Zone Leaders. It was a great meeting and on top of that we had a few hours to play sports. I played some American Football, had a blast, and am now super sore. So worth it. But between travel and the meeting we didn't have time for anything else so we did our shopping today and now I'm writing you! Elder Rxxxx has the flu, so I'm hoping I don't get it, but he has had some pretty severe symptoms so we're under orders from the mission president's wife to take it easy and spend the day in. After an hour of being in I got cabin fever so I've been going crazy with sorting out the area book, cleaning, studying, etc..

But moving on to how last week was, it was pretty good. We met a great lady named Dxxxxxxx. She was referred to us from Mormon.org, so we texted her and set up an appointment for the next day. When we met her we took her on a chapel tour and set some good expectations for teaching her. Then at the end of the visit we extended a baptismal invitation to her...and she said yes! So we offered her two dates, and she asked, can I be baptised before that?! Oh boy, you could've picked our fellowshipper's jaw off the ground, Elder Rxxxx was bouncing in his seat, and I don't think I stopped grinning for the rest of the day! The work is being hastened!

Currently in our mission there is a big focus on the Addiction Recovery Program that the Church has. We've been given 1 hour a week where we study out of this booklet and complete it ourselves. Man, there is some amazing stuff in that book that's worth considering no matter who you are. Like, "In what ways can you learn to trust In God?" And "List some of your character weaknesses, and next to them list the strengths they may become as you come unto Christ." How powerful is that?!?! I'm super excited to keep applying these to myself and working my way to overcoming the grasp that sin has on me.

I went on exchange this week with Elder Pxxx who is in my district, I brought him here to Wigan and we had fun! One of the highlights was that we had some Mac & Cheese for dinner! That stuff is extremely good. It reminds me of my childhood. It's an American specialty that I've only had 2 or 3 times on my mission. Pure golden goodness. The only thing I need now to complete my childhood reminiscences is corndogs. You can't get those here either, but I believe I will pull through from this trial that doth beset me.

It's starting to get cold here! Christmas is fast approaching! People keep reminding me that this is my last Christmas as a missionary, my last Halloween, my last Thanksgiving, etc.. And it's ticking me off! I love my mission so much and it just goes by way to quickly! But I take comfort in two things: I still have time left, and that even after my mission I will have experiences with the Gospel. I love my God. I know he lives and that he watches over us. He wants to see our happiness and he gives us the things we need to be happy. Sometimes they are concealed and we have to search for them. Sometimes we will find it, but sometimes we will realise that the happiness that we were looking for is in the journey.

I love life!

That's it from me! Love you all!
Elder Olsen
p.s. I was all ready to send pictures, then I realised that I left my card reader at the flat. I promise to send loads next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment