Monday, December 14, 2015

Wigan #13

Hello All!

I'm so happy today! It's been a great week and I feel good. I love contrasts. I think that it's easily the best way to show how good something is, or I guess if you look at it the other way, how bad something is. This was a week of missionary work. I loved it. It wasn't a week where I had to worry about what other people would do, or have done, but I was able to direct my focus and faith towards inviting others to come unto Christ. It was very spiritaully fulfilling, especially yesterday as I partook of the sacrament. I was keenly aware of the sacrifice of my Savior, and that was a huge blessing for me to be able to see.
This week was one of tracting. We went harrrd. I think tracting is similar to Christmas. Each door is like a present, and you don't know what's inside til it's opened. And no matter what happens, it's always a positive experience! It's easy to see how the times when you testify to a soft hearted man who is interested and wants to learn more is good, but sometimes it's harder to see how others can be so good. We had an experience on Saturday that I think shows how those negatives are actually positives in disguise. It was rainy and cold, we'd been knocking doors for about an hour when we came to... another door! So we knocked that and the door next to it opened! Most of the houses in England are terraced housing, so they are all connected. The person who opened that one told us to come in and that they wanted us to tell them about our God. I was a bit apprehensive because I could smell alcohol on this lady. She was probably about 25 so I asked if they're were other people in the house. She said that there were two other people there so we went in and found a mess. These three ladies had been drinking since 5:00 the night before and it was about 12. They were still going with the coke and vodka and they were absolutely smashed. The one who opened the door started asking loads of questions, saying that she was a devil worshipper and spouting off loads of random stuff. The other two were just as drunk, one of them went off about how she wanted us to help her become a Jehovah's Witness, while the other one stared at me without blinking for a good 2 minutes. When she broke it and blinked she started screaming at the top of her lungs! We made a swift exit after testifying of the reality and divinity of Jesus Christ. So that interesting experience was super positive because we've been laughing about it ever since! Super funny.
We went to Liverpool on Sunday night to watch the Christmas Devotional. So good! I loved President Uctdorf's talk. That devotional helped me to get more into the spirit of Christmas, which has been hard because not many people put lights on their houses. People will decorate a tree, but we don't often get to see those because we rarely get past the door step. So it doesn't really feel like England celebrates, even though I know it does.
Here's some pictures. Enjoy!
Love you all!
Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment