Monday, February 1, 2016

2 Carlisle #2



Hello Hello!
It's been another great week in wet windy north Cumbria. One quirky little thing about the British is that the weather is one of the biggest topics of conversation. It's very different from back home where it's a joke to talk about the weather, a topic that you only go into if you're extremely desperate. Here anyone will talk about the weather. Probably because it's shocking if the weather stays the same for more than 3 hours... So staying true to my English roots I'll talk about the weather! We have to walk across a bridge over a river every morning and the water level is still quite high from the floods a few weeks ago. This week it rained a lot and was super windy but me and my scarf survived everything just fine. I think we've had most of the bad stuff so this coming week should be a bit better weather wise. 

This week we had the great opportunity to go to the temple! I am so blessed to have a temple within the mission boundaries. President Ulrich challenged us a few months ago to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year and if we did we could go to the temple. So our first stop was the baptistry! After going through and doing baptisms and confirmations for several people it was time for our group to move on, but the group that followed after us was a group of about 25 sisters and they didn't have enough temple workers so Elder Kxxxxxx and I were asked to stay and help with them. I wasn't going to say no to spending more time in the temple so I jumped at that opportunity! When we finished with all of that we did a session and then headed home! So we didn't have the chance to do any proselyting that day, but man, it was so good to be able too spend time in the temple. I was dead exhausted going in, but I've felt so renewed since then. It really is the house of the Lord. I love it there! 

As fare as the mortal missionary work goes, it's been a pretty good week! We've kept busy and we're doing some strong work. Unfortunately our two most progressing investigators dropped us this week. Tithing is a big issue for a lot of people. It's a trial of faith but it just takes doing it to be able to understand the blessing that come from it! So that's a bummer, we have a lot of other people that we're just getting started with. People that we've found and we just need to start the process. I don't think I'm a very good teacher, but I can find a lot of people. Elder Kxxxxxx is a good teacher though,, so it works out pretty well. We have a good companionship, our strengths compliment each other nicely so it makes it a good experience. 

I'm not quite sure what it is about Carlisle, but both times I've been here our investigator pool has been about 80% middle aged single women. We started teaching one about family history, and it made me very grateful for the repeated training we were given on it back in Priest Quorum. I've trained every one of my companions on how to do it and this week we taught a Scottish lady about doing her work. I love the work of family history, and though I'm not a miracle worker at it, it's worth it to try. I miss the times on my mission when we were allowed to take an hour a week to do family history. So it was nice to talk to this lady about it. 

We're also teaching another lady called Jxxxxxx. She's full of questions and always wants to know why. Why is it that it's that way? Why does God do that? It's helped me a lot with my own beliefs, because there is something different about explaining it to someone. It makes things clearer in my own mind and helps things make sense. That's probably one of the greatest blessings that has come to me over the course of my mission. A greater understanding of the great plan of God. 

I love you all and I'm grateful for the prayers for me and the other missionaries. 

Elder Olsen
Pics, my companion. 
Me!






No comments:

Post a Comment