Monday, May 2, 2016

2 Carlisle #15



I want to preface this letter with an apology. Because of our trip to
the temple this morning I won't be able to respond to all those who
wrote me. I'll do my best but it probably won't end up happening. I'm
sorry!

I'm writing this in the back of a small car, driving through English
hills, lit with a beautiful sun and dotted with sheep. This country is
amazingly beautiful. I'm so grateful to be blessed to serve in what we
call "the cradle of the restoration."

It's a bank holiday today, which means that we got to go to the
temple! It's such a privilege to be in a mission that has a temple
within it's borders. I've really come to associate the temple with
solace. It's a place of respite and peace. We live in a troubled world
but we in the gospel are so lucky.

This week we had an experience in teaching a lesson that was very
powerful to me. We were teaching an investigator who has lots of
concerns about the church. She's visited a few anti-Mormon websites
and agrees on a lot of the partial truth opinionated philosophies that
she's found. I've heard it all. It's been a good few months since I've
heard a piece of anti lit that I haven't heard before. But rather than
try to explain away and nervously defend the church and that which it
stands for we felt prompted to teach and testify about faith. I don't
know what the result was, we had to move on and go to another lesson,
but I know that the spirit was there and that it was the right move.
We followed the direction of the spirit and it seems to have worked
out ok! I know that it worked out better than if we had done things my
way.

One of the most noticeable lessons that I'm learning is how the Lord
bestowes miracles on this work. It's been so good to see people placed
in our paths. I'll share 2 examples from this week with you. 1st one.
My back has been giving me difficulties lately. I'll leave it at that
rather than going into my rant about side bags. But anyway, the last
few days has been really bad for it, but on Saturday, we met a Chinese
lady who invited us into her house! She wants to learn about God, and
that was super good to be able to teach her. But the best part about
it is the massage chair that her husband had! It was a full body
massage chair, complete with a sound system. And I got to get a
massage in it! It tickled my feet but it was sooo good for my back!
2nd. We finished up a teaching appointment with a man named Sxxxxx,
and one of his neighbours is a less active member so we decided to
stop by her for a few minutes and invite her to come to church with
us. Well Axx has several properties and rents some of them out to
people, so this is one of the addresses that we had for her but we
weren't sure if she would be there. But she was! And what's better is
that the tenant of the flat was there too, so we got talking to him
and discovered that he really feels like his life has fallen to
shambles. So we talked to him about faith and were really able to
boost him up! And the best part is that they both came to church on
Sunday! We were expecting to have 4 investigators at church, and none
of those came, but this other man did, so that was a nice surprise!

I know that the Lord loves us. I don't know everything, but I know that much.

Have a great week!
Love, Elder Olsen


No comments:

Post a Comment