Monday, June 13, 2016

2 Carlisle #21

Good Morning!

Where to begin? Overall this has been a great week. I look back on this one and I just get happy. I felt the spirit so strongly many times, and Elder Fxxxxxxxx and I had a lot of fun. I know I've been talking about this for the last few weeks, but it is what's on my mind all the time! It's Rxxxxx!

We taught Rxxxxx a few times this week, and we had some struggles with it! Unfortunately not everything works out how you've planned, and we saw that this week. Things didn't go super down hill, there were just a few frustrations with fellow shippers not letting us get a word in and talking about things that don't really apply very much, Despite all that, we were able to plan the baptismal program with Rxxxxx. It's so exciting to see everything coming together! This is incredibly fulfilling..

But, the highlight of this week is hands down the visit from ELDER OAKS!!! He visited the Preston stake conference this last weekend, and made time to have a meeting with the missionaries! Oh man, it was amazing! As far as I remember this was the first time that I've ever shaken an apostle's hand. But what struck me as I did and looked into his eyes is that he is a man! He is normal! One of my favourite parts of the meeting was when Sister Oaks spoke. She is soo funny and has a personality that you just can't help but love. When the previous speakers cracked jokes Elder Oaks was straight faced, but he was clutching his side he was laughing so hard at some of his wife's remarks! The love that the two of them has is so obvious and it just shines. And when Elder Oaks spoke, I don't have my notes, but I could see the apostolic mantel upon him. He spoke things that were so pertinent to me. One thing that I do remember that he said: "Convert in Spanish has two meanings, one is someone who is fully changed and mature in a religious conviction, the other is someone who is beginning that process and on the path. That is the kind that we baptise! We don't baptise adults of gospel maturity, we don't even baptise teenagers! We baptise infants! You know which kind that I mean."

But my experience with Elder Oaks didn't stop there. The next day (Sunday) we went to Stake Conference and were able to hear him speak again. The Carlisle branch rented a bus and driver and we rode in extreme comfort to Preston. Rxxxxx came with us, as well as another investigator named Lxxxx who we recently started teaching. I was sat on the stand because I was singing in the choir. I was directly behind Elder Oaks on the stand. And when he spoke, that was the best part of the meeting. From my spot on the stand, I saw him literally receive revelation and then speak it. If he would've written his talk having known me and Rxxxxx our whole lives, it would've been the exact same talk that he gave at stake conference. I feel bad for everyone else, because the just listened in to and Apostle speaking to me and my investigator and probably felt pretty jealous. And Rxxxxx agreed, she told me that she felt like he was speaking to her the whole time, and that she felt so much comfort during his talk, that she was doing the right thing in getting baptized. It was a remarkable opportunity that I won't forget. Absolutely brilliant.

As far as the rest of the week went, Elder Fxxxxxxxx and I (just realized we haven't sent a picture home in a while and neither of us have a camera, sorry!) really struggled to find members to come teaching with us. We are really feeling the impact that the Hxxxxxxx's (missionary senior couple) had on this area now that we don't get to utilize them. It caused more stress this week than I've had my whole mission, but I got through it just fine.

I want to really thank you all for supporting me. I feel of the power of your prayers and I'm grateful for the support that you give. The passing remarks to my parents, and little notes of encouragement mean so much to me and my family. Thank you.

Ta Ta for now!

Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment